When you telephone to request an appointment with the doctor in surgery, you may be offered a consultation with one of our Nurse Practitioners. We have two experienced Nurse Practitioners within the Taff Vale Practice Team. Our patients are now offered more choice, less waiting time and a high standard of care. The Nurse Practitioners are general nurse practitioners with skills of consultation and disease management on a background of previous nurse training and considerable experience.
The Nurse Practitioners are qualified nurses who have undertaken a further 2 year course of study to degree level with an accompanying independent prescribing qualification who:
- Shares the workload and responsibility with the Doctors
- Provides a complimentary service to the Doctor and choice to the patient
- Diagnoses, discharges or refers independently
- Manages minor illnesses, e.g. sore throats, ear ache, rashes etc.
- Manages chronic disease e.g., asthma, diabetes, chronic chest problems
- Manages other specific clinics
- Can issue prescriptions
- Issues sick notes when appropriate signed by the doctor